- Direct local action to reduce or cancel the Los Cardones open-pit mining projects – located in and near the Sierra La Laguna Biosphere Reserve.
- Implement a mining communications/outreach campaign targeted to decision-makers and the general public to influence future decisions on MIA and zoning changes.
- Build opportunities for direct citizen action to cancel all permits for the Los Cardones project.
- Build the political atmosphere so that state and municipal elected officials are able to deny permits for toxic mining while respecting federal law.
- Educate 4-5 critical communities about toxic mining through workshops, public consultations, and local meetings.
- Garner significant coverage in traditional, online, and digital media to build an understanding of the elements of toxic mining that is being proposed by current industry players.
- Participate in the committee to complete the POEL for the Municipality of La Paz
- Work with Congress on Sustainability Legislation designed to protect against toxic open pit mining.
- Continue to reach out to decision makers and stakeholders about the dangers of this very aggressive form of mining.
Progress Progress Report
- Participated in public hearings for the Los Cardones open pit mining project.
- Organized educational programs in all Todos Santos schools from kindergarten to high school.
- Developed two videos No a la Minería Tóxica en Baja California Sur and Stop Toxic Mining in Baja California Sur.
- Developed and published four full page ads in La Paz and Los Cabos papers about the Los Cardones mining project and toxic mining.
- Published three thousand 16-page Comic Books explaining open pit mining, as well as flyers and other educational materials.
- Distributed mining and water education information via blog and social media.
- Distributed 600 bumper stickers and a dozen banners, which were used during the public hearings and the Pacto de Todos Santos Rally.
- Developed Logos for campaign.
- Designed and distributed 500 Tee shirts during the public hearings and the rally for the Pacto de Todos Santos.
- Participated in the Todos Santos Coalition against Toxic Mining led by the Todos Santos Delegado Arturo Martinez Villalobos.
- Intercepted illegal Los Cardones drilling equipment making test wells in Las Playitas and forced them to stop drilling and leave site.
- Helped design and execute the Pacto de Todos Santos and organize the signing events.
- Collaborated with other NGOs, Associations and citizens groups in No Toxic Mining Events.
- Met with members of the Congreso del Estado for the formation of a special commission to investigate the illegal processes surrounding the approval of the Los Cardon project.
- Organized 200 people from Todos Santos to visit the installations of SEMARNAT in La Paz to manifest their inconformity with the permit approvals.
- Conversations with President Enrique Peña Nieto to protest the Los Cardones project during the President’s visit to Todos Santos to evaluate damages from Hurricane Odile.